Get experience at MAC
Minnesota Autism Center (MAC) has been a leading provider of applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy in the autism community in Minnesota for more than 20 years. Our services are center-based and in-home for children and adolescents between the ages 18 months to 21 years. We are excited to offer internship opportunities to help inform and educate students about autism spectrum disorder.
MAC offers undergraduate and graduate internship opportunities in a clinical environment in the areas of mental health, autism spectrum disorder, psychology, speech-language therapy, occupational therapy, applied behavior therapy and psychotherapy. MAC interns will enrich our clients’ lives and have hands-on experiences that will afford them the opportunity to acquire mental health practitioner hours among many other skills.
MAC’s undergraduate internship program
MAC is a great place for undergraduate students to intern! We offer several different areas for undergraduate students who are looking to gain hands-on experience and explore career options. Most students we recruit are pursuing degrees in psychology, behavioral science, social work, sociology, speech-language pathology and occupational therapy.
Undergraduate students will be exposed to many areas and have experiences like:
- learning about applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy and the importance of it in the lives of those with autism;
- assisting with treatment and behavior plan development;
- observing speech and occupational therapists conduct sessions, assessments and develop treatment plans;
- assisting senior behavior therapists while they conduct sessions with clients;
- gathering data for senior behavior therapists to create monthly graphs and reports;
- creating stimuli for client programs.
Please complete and submit the online internship application form. You may also download a PDF copy of the application and email that, along with your resume to: Brittany Thompson (email@example.com). MAC will consider independent studies/internships on a case-by-case basis. Requests should be in writing accompanied with an outline of the proposed independent project, directed to Brittany Thompson. MAC can also be found on Handshake.
MAC’s graduate internship program and assessment practicum
MAC offers a graduate internship program and an assessment practicum to increase the number of mental health, speech and occupational professionals in the state of Minnesota. We are dedicated to training interns by providing hands-on experience and giving them the tools to be successful in his or her career.
Graduate students work closely with our licensed professionals (which include: PhD, PsyD, LMFT, LPC, LICSW, MA, MS, LPCC, MA-CCC-SLP, MOT-OTR/L) and other members of the clinical team.
This internship will offer opportunities such as:
- assisting with conducting initial intake assessments for new clients and reassessments for current clients;
- scoring tools, compiling data, conducting interviews with parents, and behavioral observations of clients;
- sitting in on monthly supervision for the clients;
- sitting in on treatment plan meetings;
- sitting in on psychotherapy sessions;
- assisting speech and occupational therapist with sessions;
- learning about speech and occupational evaluations;
- assisting MAC with preparing data for research projects.
Please complete and submit the online internship application form. You may also download a PDF copy of the application and submit the application along with your resume to Brittany Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org. MAC will consider independent studies/internships on a case-by-case basis. Requests should be in writing accompanied with an outline of the proposed independent project, directed to Brittany Thompson. MAC can also be found on Handshake.